Family Lawyers in Melbourne
Our family lawyers in Melbourne have been representing clients in these legal matters for over twenty years. Stephen Prior, our solicitor who handles the majority of these cases, can offer you an open and readily available service in a number of areas including:
- Divorce – We’ll help you file the papers, divide assets and decide on matters of child custody, handling your case with sensitivity at what can be an extremely stressful time.
- Separation – it often helps to get legal advice before a separation to understand your options. During the process, we can guide you through the process of asset division, custody and child support decisions, as well as negotiations over property.
- Disputes over assets and property –If you feel a proposed property division is unfair, we can help you negotiate with your partner and represent you in the Family Court if necessary.
- Disputes over children – We can assist you and your partner in finding a co-operative parenting solution through mediation and dispute resolution. If a result is not possible by this method, we can represent you in the Family Law Courts.
- Financial agreements – If you’re concerned about your assets, protect them with a financial agreement. Financial agreements can be entered into before, during or after a relationship or marriage. Sometimes known as pre-nuptial agreements, our family lawyers will ensure that your financial agreement is completed under the strict legal requirements, which will stand up in Melbourne courts when needed.
- De facto law – De facto relationships have the same legal rights as married couples in terms of property distribution and child custody. We can help you reach a settlement in the event of relationship breakdown.
- Spousal maintenance – Applications for spousal maintenance can be complicated, and will often need to be considered as part of an overall settlement of property matters. Our family lawyers can help you navigate your way through the process.
- Intervention orders – As these involve a court hearing, it’s recommended that legal advice is sought first, especially if there are children involved and you think the defendant will oppose the order. We have the expertise and knowledge to give you the best advice.
Our family lawyers in Melbourne have the qualifications and expertise to help you with this often stressful area. When you come to Prior Law, you know you have placed yourself in good hands.